Rio successors (35): Max Minghella
Let’s continue with my successors entries, especially the ones dedicated to The Social Team, trying to explain why these all people are able, together, to sum “a River” for me. Today, Max. I know at last one of you were expecting this one ;-) As the previous ones, this is not a physical look-alike comparison, it’s based on other things.
The factors he adds to that social-rio cocktail of mine:
- He has talent for comedy. The previous candidates are more valid for drama (although Andrew and Jesse can do it too). But he has “that thing”. His role in TSN is small but sure you can see why I would choose him for an ILYTD remake over the rest.
- He also suffers on screen in an amazing way, more in a rage/anger mode than Andrew’s dramatic/sweet way, for example. Phoenix was able of both modes. Max has that side.
- He’s incredibly beautiful, like a wild animal. National Geographic should dedicate an issue to him too. Again, in TSN his role is small and his appearance is more… “discrete” there, but really: watch him in "Agora" and you’ll know what I felt seeing him in that movie. He has that kind of beauty that can hurt, especially when he’s more natural, less… “modern boy” for saying it in a way. In "Agora" you can see that ageless beauty I talk about. He is also able to speak/act with his eyes. And hey… the eyebrows… THE EYEBROWS.
Rio successors (34): Brian Krause
He is in the line of Renfro: not real look-alike, not really a successor thing, but the King factor makes impossible not think about it. Pros:
- Stephen King boys: Phoenix in "Stand by me", Krause in "Sleepwalkers"
- Really: Sleepwalkers is a cocktail of ROE+Cat people xD (looks, new boy in town, forest scenes, a lot of things).
- Blonde bombshells, light expressive eyes, perfect bodies, feline features.
- Über-sexualized while still young in “beach” movies: "The Mosquito Coast" vs "Return to the blue lagoon".
- Both did great the change from doll!boys to attractive men. Krause changed less since he was less girly, but also has now a “harder” look.
- Both can play angels and devils: Krause did a great angel (literally) in "Charmed" but not gonna lie, I prefer him as a big!vampire!kitten xD
Contras: not really look alike (different facial structures), Krause can be adorable but not so fragile, and the careers are different (more TV for Brian, good and bad one).
(pics: scan from ROE Japanese program and cap from Sleepwalkers)
Rio successors (33): Trent Ford
This one is on phoenix-out-of-rivers and other intersection fans.
- Trent (“himself” thing): flawless as model, watch him here (ROARRR), and quite versatile. And he’s smart: as Dornan and a few of them knows catwalk & photoshoots don’t last forever and he’s trying combining it with cinema&tv from the beginning. TVD was a good thing to make him more familiar to teen audiences but he still need a “real big project” to show us what limits is able to reach. I know he was in The West Wing but I didn’t watched yet… was he good there?
- Trent (“successor” thing”): something in the line of Ben Barnes, I just see the look alike sometimes, in the "brunettes-with-hats looks": Phoenix in TTCL, Ford in September dawn. They could be brothers there. He also reminds me of River in those “pretty in a coat&scarf” photoshoots, but in other moments they are quite different. Again, we need a big movie here: suffering, pain, fragility, extremes… a provocative project. Hey Van Sant: give him something!
Rio successors (32): Sam Rockwell
They don’t look alike at all but you know me: this is my fucking list and I include all the ones I want. My reasons:
- He’s a great chameleon, in the line of Norton, McGregor or Fassbender. One of the best nowadays. And I like including chameleons here because Riv was one. Sam can do all the movies, from blockbusters to indie ones, and all the fucking roles, from real drama to crazy comedies or even villains/really sick men.
- King connection.
- He’s fucking crazy. The goofy!river side there.
- Smoking fetish muse. Totally. He’s obscene too. And besides, dear River, Rockwell gave me (several times) things you didn’t. Ah, yeah, Sammy maybe it’s not so “universal pretty” as Riv but God knows he show all he has, and has good stuff, ROARRR ;-)
He’s one of most underrated actors I know. Try him :)
Rio successors (30): Edward Furlong
Due to the renovated "American History X" fever, now the Other Edward.
Let’s say it clear: if Furlong were blonde he would be in more official successor lists than DiCaprio. But we, humans, are like that: sometimes it’s hard for us go beyond the physical things.
Furlong is more than young John Connor. He’s better actor than a lot of people think. OK, maybe not as good as Norton, but an amazing one. Due to his “problems” (yeah, he’s a troubled one too) during some years he worked less or in bad movies, but the kid is great.
- Fragility: Furlong is another King of Tears.
- Both started young at Cinema, and in SciFi ("Explorers" vs "Terminator 2").
- Both are able to inspire bad thoughts being young.
- Great at indie or alternative movies ("American History X", "Pecker", "Animal Farm").
- King factor ("Pet Sematary 2").
- Smoking Fetish muses (yeah!). Furlong is a chain smoker.
- Addictions: alcohol and several drugs, although he’s more problematic and less tender than Phoenix (several issues related to driving and violence episodes). He’s probably nearer to Renfro (another King kid).
- Amazing expressive eyes, born to suffer on screen.
- Hair porn: fucking Pantene boys.
- Furlong is a vegetarian.
- Japan loves them both (Furlong tried music too, Japanese people loved that side).
- - - - -
- Not real physical look alike: yeah, the fragility is there, the powerful eyes, obscene lips, amazing eyebrows… but not facial structure, not noses for example.
- I was going to say that Furlong managed worse his issues (in a less “pro way”) but taking into account he’s still alive and quit the hard ones maybe I should shut up. Once again, violence & anger are not the way… but once again, they seem to work better.
- Growing up: as Renfro, he did not bad, but did it “weird”. He had boy face even being an adult, and then he changed… Not as good as Phoenix, nope. The thing Phoenix did at all ages is quite uncommon in boys/man, really.
(pics: Phoenix from everlasting talent, Furlong is a cap from AHX)
Rio successors (29): Edward Norton
I don’t really consider Norton a successor of Phoenix because as in the Skarsgård/Hauer thing, I consider him the successor of another Big One: Robert De Niro.
But hey, the second word that comes to mind while thinking of Phoenix (after “God”) is “chameleon”, and Edward is one of my favourites chameleons, probably the #2 after River, yeah. I love that kind of guys (Oldman, DeNiro, Fassy too… or McGregor).
He’s so Great, with capital G, doing these things I had to include him in this list. He can be a devil or a saint, as Phoenix was, just moving the fucking eyebrows or changing the look in his eyes. He can be a fragile broken thing or a very taugh guy, even in the same movie. He’s amazing.
More in common:
- He’s a fucking adorable person IRL.
- Doesn’t smoke IRL and refuses to smoke in movies for moral reasons (but he felt with Fincher, hahaha, and I fucking love him there… thanks David!).
- He has that "shirt thing" in a contract clause, for sure, as Phoenix had the shirtless ones xD
- The arms. Oh, God. When you see them at first you don’t think they have those fucking arms… :)~~
- The eyes. The amazing and mesmerizing eyes… ah.
- Both could do Emidio Tucci commercials xD
The differences: yes, Norton is probably better as devil than as an angel (even when he’s broken there’s a shadow in his eyes) and Phoenix was the inverse thing. And Norton is not so “Universal”: he’s fucking attractive (yes YES yes) but in another way, more “damaged” one maybe. Let’s say that from the “innocsexy” thing, Norton has more the sexy than the innocent (at movies) and more the innocent than the sexy (IRL), while in Phoenix that “thing” was a pack inside and out of screen.
So he’s not my “Rio successor” but what the hell, he don’t even need that: I love this man madly as he is, hehehe, and he’s one of the best of his generation.
Rio successors (28): Jesse Eisenberg
I know this one is a very personal choice and not so obvious as others: yes, Phoenix could have been a model, Garfield could be a model… but Jesse, although cute and attractive, has a more discrete beauty. But please, go beyond the physical things, as you are able to do other times. Maybe with this post I even get julicious starts liking him a bit and tiensions watching fucking TSN.
Give us a chance (him and me). These are the reasons why I consider him not only the perfect complement to Garfield (IRL) but also a successor by himself.
- His acting, as his beauty, is more discrete than Garfield or Phoenix ones, he’s kinda more calm… but also full of details and “colours”. The problem is you usually can see this in the rewatchs, not in the first times (‘cause you’re more focused on the plot). But really, he’s flawless, the amazing subtle things he can do with eyes and mouth.
- Phoenix was a natural. Garfield is a natural too. But sometimes we forget Phoenix always did also a lot of research. Here comes Eisenberg: this man learnt to play the piano for one of his last movies ("Predisposed"). Sounds familiar? Of course, River in ROE. Eisenberg also started to learn programming for TSN (he gave up… and poor boy, I understand him). I don’t know if Phoenix did for Sneakers but… hey, tell me other actor that tried that for playing a fucking computer boy!!
- The Asshole Factor: Garfield can play anger and broken guys, even psychos (yeah, the Perkins thing… you, bastards, I didn’t see that before). But I’ve never saw him playing an arrongant bastard. Eisenberg can, oh, yes. Those kind of bastards that you want to slap but also hug, in a loop. Like Phoenix in Dogfight or TTCL.
- Arrogant Assholes (vol. 2): look at his fingers, hahaha. No, really: Jesse in TSN is amazing. He’s able to go from 0 to 13/10 in arrogance scale, where 0 is Jesse Eisenberg (nervous, frighten kitten, shy boy) and 13/10 is a fucking Mark Zuckerberg better than RL one, almost a James Bond or Tony Montana of hackers. That famous finger scene got him the Oscar nomination. If you watch the behind scenes is amazing how Jesse transforms in Mark. APPLAUSE!
- Adorable puppies: yeah, this one too. Mike Waters vs The Boy, of course.
- Chameleons: yeah, Jesse isn’t at physical level as River was, and that’s the problem and why a lot of people think he’s always playing the same role. But come on, the man has done from wolf boys to dealers, from perfect adorable boyfriends to asocial bastards. He’s able to transform himself in everything. LOOK CLOSER!
- - - - -
- Fragility: watch the “behind the scenes”, especially in Fincher’s one… amazing.
- Pills issues: Jesse admitted it, even joked about them (in interviews, when they asked about being now a geek sex symbol). It’s the kind of thing Phoenix would have trolled about too (if his ones would have been legal ones xD). Although these ones aren’t innocuous either (yeah, I know) I really REALLY hope Jesse keeps himself far from the others.
- Love for animals & animal activism: evident in both. Millions of dogs and cats xD
- Veg-inspirations: again, the same. Ah, Eisenberg’s face when after TSN Spanish premiere some journalists asked him if he was going to see bullfighting. A poem. Really.
- His relationship with Anna: long term one, she’s quite older, she’s discrete, mature and calm. They remind me of Riv&Sue a lot.
- His relationship with Andrew: yeah, they remind me of Riv&Keany, I said it a lot. In fact they go beyond since both Andrew and Jesse are the River type and no Keanu there, so more jokes, more touching and more fun. Andrew, less shy, kinda takes care of him but also Jesse treats Andrew as if he were one of his million cats xD
- Forever questioning: Jesse has that "why this? why that?" thing as children have… as River had. I mean, he questions everything (I remember now that issue with that people that also worked in the animal shelter, when he asked them about veganism/vegetarianism xD)
- Oscar luncheon: they match in the "I’m lost here" and “fuck, I could be at home with my animals” faces all the fucking time.
- Versatile: he can sing too (a bit, hehe) and he did theater (in fact he’s kinda Kevin Spacey: accepts some movie roles for doing theater).
- Trolling: another more than obvious one xD
- Balls: Jesse sued "Camp hell" responsibles for taking advantage of his new fame to promote (in a non appropriate way) that previous movie. And won. Congrats, man! That is “bite the hand that feeds”. Probably Riv would have done the same, he was more peaceful but had balls enough too.
Yeah, Eisenberg is more than a lot of people think. Really: try him, taste him, enjoy him… he is a Big One too!
Rio successors (27): Erika Linder
You know I don’t like to include models in this “successor” list ‘cause although I like a lot of them, what I love more of Riv is acting. In fact I only had a model here (and for me, sorry, he was a “NO”).
New exception and third gender!swap.
I really thought she was a boy, hey, the best of Phoenix and DiCaprio together. Well, after this morning message: she is a “SHE”, so is also the best of both fucking worlds.
Kinda “next model” (well, I’m not so lost then, hehehe) but she’s working hard, yeah. And fast. Adorable androgyny. I’ve seen she’s very VERY femenine sometimes, so her transformations in Phoenix, DiCaprio (oh, God, she’s a better Leo than Leo himself!) or other boys are that, transformations, a really good ones: more merit! She’s a fucking chameleon, like Evangelista. So that’s the reason she’s here: it’s not a silly look alike, she’s not a “Barbie”, she’s almost an actress in the photoshoots I’ve seen. Amazing.
Dear: welcome here (to the list and to my life).